Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Food and Light versus Dark

Aloha everyone!!

I recently discovered a food reality show and have rediscovered my love of cooking - but mostly my love of food.

I love food!! Yes, I love it. Food is a journey that leads to many different aspects of life. It is what sustains our bodies by providing nourishment and proper nutrition. Yet, when we abuse food it becomes our enemy.

For me, food can be a way to find something good to enjoy. When I am down I got to my favorite local burger joint here in town, buy a delicious teriyaki burger with fresh avocado and a milkshake. Not very healthy, but tasty!

Within this last week, I have also changed my eating habits. It comes from a desire to eat better and healthier. Instead of eating only what seems appealing to me - which mostly consists of sweets, meats, and cereal - I force myself to prepare a nice salad or try out the soups. I seek to maintain a balanced diet - not very easy being a college student!

An article found on the Mayo Clinic website talks about research done on the relation between diet and depression. This is a section of their wonderful article written by Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

"Researchers in Britain looked at depression and diet in more than 3,000 middle-aged office workers over the course of five years. They found that people who ate a junk food diet — one that was high in processed meat, chocolates, sweet desserts, fried food, refined cereals and high-fat dairy products — were more likely to report symptoms of depression"

While she does state that more research is to be done on this relationship, she encourages us to eat a healthy diet.

I became interested in this after I talked with my Dad and he helped me to see how my diet wasn't helping at all. I don't think eating a healthy diet will completely cure depression, but I do believe that it will help us in our struggle against it.

That being said, I want to add something that has really helped me throughout the week. This quote right here:

"If you choose to concentrate on the dark side, this is what you will see." —Richard G. Scott

I realize that there have been plenty of times when I have focused only on what I see as bad in my life. Be it my perception of myself, my weaknesses, my failures, and what others may think of me. This is not healthy for me, or for anyone. It has to stop.

Depression, as I mentioned in another post, is a very self-centered ailment. I know. As that is, thinking only about the bad stuff won't help. Instead, I encourage you - and myself - to think about the good. Look to see the light!

With that said, I want to share one of my lights with you guys - just one, or two.

Every time I leave my dorm I take a look around and am so amazed at the beauty of nature around me. Be it morning sky, the wind's caress, or the trees. To me, life in motion is beautiful.



I am glad that depression has given me the chance to look more deeply. I hate having to struggle with it, I hate how it makes me feel about myself, but I am glad that it has opened my heart to the fragile nature of human emotions and to the need to appreciate more what is around me.

Now - I want you guys each to find something you appreciate today. Look for the light!


Feel free to share in the comments if you want, I would love to hear how your progress is. However, do it for yourself.

Here is the link to the Mayo Clinic reference that I included.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/depression-and-diet/faq-20058241

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant post!
    The only thing I'd like to say is I don't think depression in and of itself is selfish. I think the tendency when in depression is to focus in on self, but, yeah. I think that's what you were trying to say. :P
    Thanks, bro!

    ReplyDelete