Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Fade Syndrome

Today, tomorrow, yesterday - it is all the same. I feel myself drifting further away from having a desire to care about the world, about making friends, about me. While normally it would be good to think less of me - as depression is very self-centered - this isn't in the good way. It is more of the bad way.

You with me?

Ok.

Just checking.

I share this personal thought because that is a hardship I face. I want my journey to be real, not fake and not overly glossed over. Yea, it won't be full of everything. A man has got to have his personal space too, and the internet is not the platform for sharing all my woes. But, I want you to know that I struggle too.


Just like you, I am seeking to overcome my trials. It reminds me of a friend I visited who recently went to the hospital. He had fallen off a moving vehicle and received a severe concussion, went into coma and can't remember much of that day. I visited him today and was inspired by his happy attitude and contagious optimism.

Hint: A good way to feel better is to visit someone else who is needs a visit. I promise it works. ;)

There are other people struggling. You, and I, are not alone. It is something I have to remind myself when I am feeling blue.

We are still masters of our fate.
We are still captains of our souls.

Winston Churchill
 
I can be a master of my own fate and I will. That is my hope. Let it be your hope too.
 
 
Now, as a college student I have to admit - the going gets tough! Stress can play a large factor in how we feel about ourselves. So, take time to sit back and relax! Enjoy the scenery around you and for once - enjoy the quiet and solitude. Just not the bad one...yea, the one I talked about above. That one is not good. This one, for a moment, is. So, go ahead. Relax. Take ten minutes and just let it all out. Take another ten to bring in all the good around you. Go ahead, enjoy it.
 
 


There. All done? Good. I hope you are feeling much better now. I know that I am.

Remember, you are not alone. It is easy to think that you are. Let me repeat, you are not alone. If you feel like you have the fade syndrome. Go visit someone who needs one, enjoy the experience of making someone else happy and feeling loved.

That is it for today - or this week. I am still not sure how to get use to the blogging. Keep an eye out for my next update and please, if you feel like doing so, comment on my post what you think and suggestions for what things I can include. I am still finding my voice and can use all the help I can get.


The Winston Churchill quote came from a wonderful website filled with inspiration quotes which I will leave the link below.

http://www.inspirational-quotes.info/motivational-quotes.html

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zachary. Very good counsel on both serving others and taking time to relax and center yourself. I used to have a magnet on my fridge that said something to the effect of the way to bury your troubles is to help someone else dig out of theirs. The magnet was in the shape of a shovel. Helping others is truly the best way to forget your self and your own problems. It usually gives you a new perspective, also, as you see others who may have greater problems than your own. Thanks for sharing this very personal part of your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I've struggled off and on with minor depression. I always find that getting busy helping others (generally my children) helps me to get out of my low state of mind. And yes, stress doesn't help so learning to relax is important. Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I am glad that you enjoyed the thoughts I had to share. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience in handling depression as well.

      Delete
  3. Son I think that is very well said. I hope you keep this up, I know a lot of people deal with depression and could use the advice. It is also very good for people that have not gone through it to help them understand, which can be difficult since it is nearly invisible to external observers, unlike an amputated leg or arm.

    ReplyDelete